Monday, August 30, 2004

Assessing Da Vinci

I borrowed a copy of Da Vinci Code from my good friend joey and I have just finished reading it. Overall, I think it's a good read... good enough for me to finish it in just two days. Surprisingly though, I don't think it's as good as I expected it to be. With all the fuss about it, I reckoned I should be astounded enough by its fascinating story to make me start buying those 'Cracking the Da Vinci Code' books. But it didn't. Maybe because it seemed predictable to me and I find it a tad too fictional and because it's full of jargons (that I couldn't even find in any of the dictionary in this house). If I may make a suggestion, they could place a glossary of French terms at the back. The riddles are quite easy (and fun!) to solve though. I, myself, managed to guess 4 of it correctly! So now I'm contemplating on having a career in cryptology! Just kidding. Well, probably most of the readers have solved a few riddles too (so much for my being a genius). About the issue on the grail and stuff, I don't think anyone should even consider for one second that any of it is true. It's too preposterous. A definite absurdity. It would just give you headaches if you try to think about it. It could even drive you crazy. But as long as you have a strong faith, I'm confident that one book would not shatter your beliefs (and your sanity) overnight. When you think about it, it might strengthen it even more. Maybe you can even consider it, say, like a test of faith! In the end, it really helps to know that this book can be found in the FICTION section of the bookstore. That certainly says it all.

After reading it, it did made me realize the sad fact that people would rather read (and even believe) all these lies that could weaken their faith rather than read things that would strengthen their faith. That book made me feel really guilty. I spent just two days reading Da Vinci Code and I couldn't even finish reading the Bible in a year. It's such a sad shameful reality that I wish could simply turn into fiction. It would be such a disgrace if I die without even finishing reading the best-selling book of all-time. TRIVIA: With just 4 chapters a day, and you're finished reading the Bible in a year. So there's just no way I can't finish it, NO WAY! I WILL FINISH IT! (And so should you!)

No comments: